Academic Requirements for Graduate Degrees in Materials Science and Engineering
- A bachelor's degree in Materials science, in an Engineering discipline or in a Physical science.
- An undergraduate grade-point average in Engineering, Science, or Mathematics courses of 3.2 on a 4.0 scale.
- A minimum of three (3) letters of strong reference from former teachers and/or supervisors.
- A required minimum GRE (Graduate Record Examination) score of 155 for the quantitative section with a combined total score of 300 for the verbal and quantitative sections. Since the GRE test scores are good for 5 years, those applicants using the old testing scores, the required minimum score is 700 for the quantitative section with a combined total score of 1200 for the verbal and quantitative sections.
- The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) for all students whose first language is not English and who have not received a degree from a college or university in which English is the primary language of instruction. The University required minimum TOEFL score is 79 (IBT) or 550 for paper based.
- An alternative to the TOEFL test is IELTS (International English Language Testing System). The minimum requirement is 6.5 for admissions.
Admission is selective and competitive based on the number of well qualified applicants and the limits of available faculty and facilities. Those who meet stated minimum academic requirements are not guaranteed admission.