Chris Kloxin's group is interested in several polymer-based research areas, including (i) stimuli-responsive materials for materials-healing, (ii) novel photopolymerization and photocoupling reactions for surface engineering and photolithography, and (iii) DNA recognition and assembly using ‘click’ nucleic acids. Our general research approach is to design and synthesize materials from the monomer up to precisely tune the macromolecular architecture. We then utilize an array of characterization techniques, such as rheometry, scattering, and microscopy, to better understand the relationship between the underlying microscopic structure and the macroscopic property. This latter process informs the direction for monomer design and synthesis to optimize the desired property for a specific application.
- McNair Scholars Outstanding Advisor Award 2015
- University of Delaware Research Foundation (UDRF) Award 2012 & 2014
- Outstanding Teaching Assistant, 2001 Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, NCSU
- Outstanding Undergraduate Teaching Assistant, 1998 & 1999 Department of Chemical Engineering, CU
- Stimuli-responsive materials, which include light-actuated, environmentally adaptable, and self-healing materials, for applications ranging from low stress and healable dental restoratives to photo-induced delivery of gene therapeutics.
- We utilize an array of synthetic approaches, from basic organic synthetic reactions to controlled polymerization, to fabricate these novel materials.
Gordon, M.B., French, J.M., Wagner, N.J., Kloxin, C.J., "Dynamic Bonds in Covalently Crosslinked Polymer Networks for Photoactivated Strengthening and Healing", Advanced Materials 27(48), 8007, (2015)
Xi, W., Pattanayak, S., Wang, C., Fairbanks, B., Gong, T., Wagner, N.J., Kloxin, C.J., Bowman, C.N., "Clickable Nucleic Acids: Sequence-Controlled Periodic Copolymer/Oligomer Synthesis by Orthogonal Thiol-X Reactions", Angewandte Chemie International Edition 54(48), 14462, (2015)
Xi, W., Scott, T.F., Kloxin, C.J., Bowman, C.N., "Click Chemistry in Materials Science", Advanced Functional Materials 24(18), 2572, (2014)
Ma, S.J.; Mannino S.J.; Wagner, N.J.; & Kloxin, C.J., "Photodirected Formation and Control of Wrinkles on a Thiol-ene Elastomer", ACS Macro Letters 2, 474, (2013)
Kloxin, C.J. & Bowman, C.N., "Covalent Adaptable Networks: Smart, Reconfigurable and Responsive Network Systems", Chemical Society Reviews 42(17), 7161, (2013)
Kloxin, C.J.; Scott, T.F.; Park, H.; & Bowman, C.N., "Mechanophotopatterning on a Photoresponsive Elastomer", Advanced Materials 23(17), 1977, (2011)
Adzima, B.J.; Tao, Y.; Kloxin, C.J.; DeForest, C.A.; Anseth, K.S.; & Bowman, C.N., "Spatial and Temporal Control of the Alkyne--Azide Cycloaddition by Photoinitiated Cu(ll) Reduction", Nature Chemistry 3, 258, (2011)
- Kloxin, A.M.; Kloxin, C.J.; Bowman, C.N.; & Anseth, K.A., "Mechanical Properties of Cellularly Responsive Hydrogels and their Experimental Determination", Advanced Materials 22, 3484, (2010)
- Adzima, B.J.; Kloxin, C.J.; & Bowman, C.N., "Externally Triggered Healing of a Thermoreversible Covalent Network via Self-Limited Hysteresis Heating", Advanced Materials 22, 2784, (2010)
- Kloxin, C.J.; Scott, T.F.; Adzima, B.J.; & Bowman, C.N., "Covalent Adaptable Networks (CANs): A Unique Paradigm in Crosslinked Polymers", Macromolecules 43, 2643, (2010)