K-12 Outreach Materials Awareness Program
- Do you know what Materials Science and Engineering is?
- What opportunities are available in Materials Science and Engineering?
The study of materials science covers ALL areas of the physical and engineering sciences. It is an interdisciplinary field which includes sub categories such as ceramics, biomechanics, semiconductors, polymer science, and catalysis. Materials Scientists are constantly designing new and exciting materials that have unique properties. Current technology allows scientists to design and test these different materials. For example, sports equipment manufacturers often rely on the performance advantages obtained from advanced materials. In fact, materials developed for aerospace and other high technology areas are being used for sporting goods. Development and engineering of new materials for sporting goods ands other areas presents unique challenges and opportunities for the materials scientist.
- Designing new materials and improving existing materials for renewable energy sources (i.e. – solar cells). The Institute of Energy
- Conversion at the University of Delaware has been integral in the development of thin film solar cells.
- Developing a tissue scaffold using synthetic polymer fibers.
- Developing new catalytic materials that reduce auto emissions with higher selectivity and activity than existing ones.